Sunday, August 5, 2012

Daisy Is Here

 I'd like to introduce the beagle formerly known as Cuddles -- Miss Daisy Lou Hirsch. She is just a tiny little thing, especially compared to her sister Freckle Magoo Hirsch.

Daisy spent all of her life at a breeder facility. She wasn't in a "puppy mill" but she did live in a kennel and never had a family. She just kept delivering puppies until they didn't need her anymore. Poor little Daisy. Well she has retired at Camp Mary where she will be treated well.

A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless (Peter) doesn't like the name Daisy but I do. I like the flower daisy ever since I saw the movie "Harold and Maude" in the 1970s. If you've never seen it I highly recommend it as one of the best movies ever. There is a scene where Harold and Maude are talking about flowers:

Maude: I should like to change into a sunflower most of all. They're so tall and simple. What flower would you like to be?
Harold: I don't know. One of these, maybe.
Maude: Why do you say that?
Harold: Because they're all alike.
Maude: Oooh, but they're *not*. Look. See, some are smaller, some are fatter, some grow to the left, some to the right, some even have lost some petals. All *kinds* of observable differences. You see, Harold, I feel that much of the world's sorrow comes from people who are *this*,
[she points to a daisy]
Maude: yet allow themselves be treated as *that*.
[she gestures to a field of daisies]

And so let's all usher in the era of Daisy. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of a better way to retire than at Casa Mary. Or it's official name, Casa de Maria Empenada Chiquita Pinto Swell Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on taking Miss Daisy into your life. She is one very lucky dog!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and comment. I have to check all comments to be sure you aren't saying nasty things -- are you saying nasty things???? I knew you wouldn't. Keep reading.